Monday, February 5, 2007

Blog No. 2: Not ready to play with MySpace - yet*

So I’ve yet to create a MySpace page or any other social networking page or account much to the shock of some of my friends. My first excuse – I’m too old for that – was shot down as peer after peer began referencing their pages and who’ve they’ve been able to reconnect with through them. And connecting appears to be the crux of the lure of the social networking sites. So if libraries can use these sites to connect with users and foster connections among users, that’s wonderful, but I’m not ready to create a page yet.

In my Information Policy class we are going to discuss privacy this week and privacy is another one of my excuses for not creating a page. I know you can determine who can see your pages, but there is this level of intimacy that’s reached on these pages that makes me uncomfortable, and, yes, that’s totally my problem. Three years ago in his blog – Life With Alacrity - Christopher Allen wrote about four kinds of privacy. Contextual privacy resonated with me regarding these sites. I agree with him, I don’t want to know my married boss is trolling these sites for potential affairs.

Laziness is another excuse. I don’t have time to constantly tinker with the page and I’m kind of a perfectionist so I know it would consume a lot of time. Wait, was that too intimate?

* I reserve the right to overcome these excuses and create a page, but you may not be notified of such progress because I don’t know you all that well.

7 comments:

claudia said...

Right on, Bridget. I hear you loud and clear!

I, too, applaud libraries who are willing to use MySpace and other 2.0 tools to connect and reconnect with their patrons. And while I would happily use MySpace on behalf of a library, I cannot imagine participating personally.

Kristen said...

What you say makes sense to me. Privacy is a nice thing to maintain. Fortunately my MySpace page is pretty boring and I haven't had anything much happen to make me feel uncomfortable. And it is all about comfort I think when it comes to the personal MySpace pages.

BookmobilebabeJody said...

While I do see how libraries could benefit from using 2.0 tools like MySpace to connect with community members, I agree with you that the personal privacy issue is significant. Our library has looked into opening a MySpace page and it become highly controversial. It was amazing just how strongly the lines were drawn for or against it. To date, the project has stalled but that doesn't mean it won't still come to fruition.

Michael Stephens said...

Topics like privacy certainly do polarize some organizations. And privacy is a personal thing. I totally understand each person's need for a level of privacy...BUT I get a little irked when librarians try to force their views of privacy on other folks who are willing to findable.

This is a good discussion...I''d like to hear more.

wantonlife said...

For folks who are less comfortable with MySpace, Facebook is a nice alternative. There are more privacy options, better allowing users to determine how much to share with whom. I keep a MySpace page, but every time I use it, I feel like I am more exposed than on Facebook.

me said...

My friends are the same way and constantly tell me how fun myspace is and how much I'm missing out on. However, I work at a bar and I feel like creepy customers may be able to somehow find me on myspace. I know you can make your page available by invite only, but I still find the whole idea a little unnerving.

megan said...

I agree with you Bridget,
I really do understand the privacy issues at play here. I have friends who are on Myspace who have everything on private and no pictures of themselves, they just don't want to be on the Web in that way.

I also do not have a Myspace account because I am worried about the time needed. I can't even keep up with my email...

But libraries should use the tools that are out there to connect with thier users.